Monday, November 19, 2007

Memories in the rain

My childhood memories are a little bit hazy, although I strongly suspect that the various medications I've taken over the last 5 years have blurred my mind. Add to that a severe 'depressive episode' in 2002 (which must kill off a few braincells) and 'self medication' prior to it, and it's hardly suprising.
Recently, though, early memories have been coming back in floods and they all leave me feeling rather emotional. Happily emotional, I must add. I've never really questioned that I had a great childhood in a happy, loving, supportive family, but the inability to remember key years of early life can be hard.
Now I can remember that my Dad went beyond the call of duty to make my childhood special. All those times he took me fishing in the rain must have been boring for him, really! But he did it. And looking back, I cant thank him enough. And my Mum, well, Mum's just do it all for you without question, don't they? Well, mine did. And I can't thank her enough either. I'll go into more detail when I finally write my book, but I had to write these words today.
Being a parent myself, now, I can see how time and energy-zapping life becomes, but your kids still come first.
In other news, I've got a terrible cold with laryngitis, so I'm croaking like an old frog. My DLA got reviewed and the DWP decided that I do still qualify, after deciding a month or so back that I was no longer eligible. More on this in a blog dedicated to benefits, in the pipeline. All I'll say is that house prices and rental prices in the UK are constantly rising, food prices are on the increase and fuel has risen above £1 per litre. Yet the government believes the Economy is stable. And for those of us who Have to live on benefits, due to long term disability, we fight on to keep the benefits we have in order to live below the poverty line. Nice.
Life could be worse though. I'm not crippled with depression today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home