Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Care in the community Part 2

More than once, today, I've been given the option of discharging myself from mental health services, but that would be too easy.... for them.

10 a.m., still no calls, so my partner calls the CMHT (Community Mental Health Team), vocalising her concern that no-one has returned my calls. My new care co-ordinator, Steve, isn't in today she's told, but will be tracked down and asked to call me.

A call from my psychiatrist at midday. She states that she's calling instead of Steve, as she knows me better ( but I smell a 'rat' already). Her call confirms what I already knew; that my CPN hadn't been advised 8 months ago that I didn't require his services anymore. She admitted that she had failed to communicate to me some major aspects of my care, such as the fact that my CPN had handed in his notice and that they were waiting for his replacement before assigning me a new care co-ordinator. It would appear that they failed to communicate this to him too.

Although She apologised for inadequate care, I feel like any relationship of trust has been destroyed. I advise her that I am still dis-satisfied with the 'service' I receive and don't know what my options are for the future. She advises that I can continue seeing the team and draw up a new care plan with them, or discharge myself from mental health services. Either way, I can discuss this next Tuesday, when I have an appointment with her (at which my new care co-ordinator Steve will be present). I request that Steve still calls me, as I'd like to find out what was raised at Monday's meeting by him, on my behalf.

Steve calls. In his opinion, my psychiatrists apology represents sincerity, therefore without doubt restoring any trust that had been lost. I disagree. We disagree. We go around in circles for 20 minutes. I ask him for help in trying to resolve a situation which is escalating out of control and which is causing me great stress and anxiety. I remind him I am the patient with a mental Health problem and he is supposed to be my new carer. He advises me that 'the world is not perfect'. I cannot make an appointment to see him, to discuss ANY issues, as He's " not professionally involved in my care yet." I tell him I'm frustrated. He advises that I complain to the Community Mental Health Team Manager. I state I don't want to complain, I just need to clarify what care I am entitled to. He advises me that the only way forward is to speak to the Team Manager.

My partner calls the Team Manager. He won't speak to her, but she can write in raising any issues she has. Despite being exhausted by all these contradictory conversations, where I feel I am not being listened to, I speak to him and outline events from last March up until today. He also apologises and says "it is clear that our communications haven't been tight." He advises that I could discharge myself back into the care of my GP, although the best way forward would be to meet with my psychiatrist and new care co-ordinator next Tuesday and develop a new care plan based on what I want.

I just want to be heard.

So I am left with a psychiatrist I no longer trust and a new care co-ordinator who doesn't listen to me and so far hasn't helped me.... in fact, he's the reason this whole stressful saga started!

More to follow, I'm sure....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home